Ombre is the latest trend in nail design, marked by a light color at the base of the nail gradually deepening to a dark shade at the tip. Most people have to go to a salon to have this gradient polish airbrushed on, but a simple technique can be used to achieve this look at home.
- Begin by shaping the nails and pushing back the cuticles. Wash and dry the nails thoroughly before applying a basecoat.
- Apply one or two coats of a pale nail polish color. It doesn’t have to be perfect; concentrate on the base of the nail. Apply very little polish at the tip of the nail since more layers will be added later and thick polish can chip easily.
- After the lighter color is applied and dry but not yet hardened, paint the very tip of the nail in the darker color.
- Allow the polish to dry completely and harden. Put a few drops of the darker polish on a small piece of cardboard or paper plate (do not use Styrofoam; it will melt). Using a triangular makeup sponge folded in half, dip it in the polish and tap it off so there is very little polish on the sponge. Then carefully tap the sponge on the nail, starting at the tip. Move towards the base, using less pressure but go no further than 1/3 of the way up the nail. If the line created by painting the tip earlier is not properly disguised, go over it again with the sponge and a little more polish but do not repeat the entire nail.
- Once the sponge application is complete, allow it to dry before applying a top coat.